Diabetes & Foot Care
Diabetes can cause many complications that affect patient’s circulatory, nervous and immune systems, making them more prone to foot injuries and infections.
The most common complication of diabetes is Diabetic Neuropathy - which is damage to the nerves of the body. Symptoms include numbness and tingling of extremities, altered pain sensation and reduced ability to feel pain, which can lead to skin damage, infection, foot ulcers, and joint deformity. These are usually referred to as Diabetic Foot Syndrome.
Diabetic Foot Ulcer
Ulcers are sores that are slow to heal or keep returning. Foot ulcers affect 15% of people with diabetes, as this metabolic disease delays and impedes with the normal wound healing process. Paired with reduced ability to feel pain and loss of feeling, even small cuts can go undetected and pose a serious health risk.
Blisters and sores commonly appear on numb areas of feet, legs and heel region. As pressure and injury goes unnoticed, it becomes an easy entry way for bacteria and infection.
When nerve damage is present, it is common for diabetic patients to not feel feet problems until they have developed. Luckily, foot care is relatively simple and is key to preventing injury and complications.
Along with proper diabetes management with a healthy diet, regular exercise, avoiding tobacco, blood sugar monitoring and adherence to a prescribed medication regimen, following the foot care tips below can help prevent problems with your feet:
It is important to schedule regular foot checkups with your doctor and to contact your doctor if you notice any signs of skin damage.
HOW CAN DIABETIC SOCKS HELP DIABETIC PATIENTS?
Dr Segal’s Diabetic socks are specially designed to decrease the risk of foot injury, offer maximum blood flow and comfort, as well as prevent infection, bacterial or fungal growth.
Benefits & special features include:
1. Seamless Construction: Flat-felled seam prevents rubbing that can cause blisters or ulcers.
2. Loose Knit Top Band: Dr. Segal’s non-constricting top band for a comfortable and gentle fit that is perfect for diabetic patients or people with diminished sensation.
3. Extra Padding: Terry Cushioned Foot Bed provides extra padding and cushioning for sensitive areas to enhance comfort and help prevent injury.
4. Moisture-wicking: Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Socks use HYDROCOOL® Moisture-Wicking agent, keeping feet dry to prevent skin infections.
5. Anti-microbial: Ultrafresh® Anti-microbial treatment prevents bacterial and fungal growth.
6. Soft yarns: Made with a premium Cotton blend, these diabetic socks provide natural breathability that is soft to reduce rough abrasion on the skin.
While Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Socks are specifically designed to meet the comfort and health requirements for diabetic patients, anyone can wear them to benefit from the higher quality and added comfort and softness.