November is Diabetic Awareness Month. Right now, 1 in 10 people worldwide live with diabetes or prediabetes. Those with diabetes can experience very serious complications including loss of limbs, heart attacks and blindness.
Keep reading to learn more about diabetes, how you can support Diabetic Awareness Month, and how Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Socks can help protect the health of your feet if you or your loved ones have foot complications resulting from diabetes.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIABETES
There are multiple types of diabetes: Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Prediabetes and Gestational Diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes is a disease in which the pancreas does not produce any insulin. Insulin is an important hormone that helps your body to control the level of glucose (sugar) in your blood. Click here to learn more information on Type 1 Diabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes is a disease in which your body cannot make enough insulin, or does not properly use the insulin it makes. Click here for more information on Type 2 Diabetes.
Prediabetes refers to blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but are not yet high enough to be diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetes. Learn more here.
Gestational Diabetes is a type of diabetes that occurs during the second or third trimester of pregnancy. Between 3% and 20% of pregnant people get Gestational Diabetes. Learn more here.
HOW TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR DIABETIC AWARENESS MONTH
The International Diabetes Federation works to help people better manage diabetes and avoid long-term complications by providing comprehensive resources, education and support. Their website is an excellent source for facts about diabetes care, prevention and finding a cure. Donate today!
DR. SEGAL’S DIABETIC SOCKS
Dr. Segal’s has created Diabetic Socks that are stylish, comfortable and are effective for diabetic and neuropathy patients. Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Socks have unique features that typically aren’t present in regular socks and are specially designed to decrease the risk of foot injury, keep feet dry and offer maximum blood flow.
Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Sock features include:
- Non-binding Top Bands - The extremely stretchy top band allows for a comfortable fit that doesn’t bunch up and promotes circulation in the feet.
- Seamless Toes - The seam on the inside of regular socks rubs on your toes throughout the day. For someone with diabetes, this can result in painful chafing and blisters. The seamless toe in Dr. Segal’s diabetic socks works to prevent the development of rubbing and blisters.
- Antimicrobial Treatment - For people who experience foot conditions, it’s important to ensure your feet stay clean. The antimicrobial treatment on Dr. Segal’s diabetic socks prevents bacterial and fungal growth to keep your feet healthy.
- Moisture Wicking Technology - Nobody likes to experience moisture in their socks, let alone diabetics who can develop serious infections on their feet as a result. Having moisture wicking technology in diabetic socks ensures your feet are kept dry to prevent any skin infections from developing.
- Cushioned Footbeds - The extra padding on Dr. Segal’s diabetic socks help prevent injuries on your feet which could result in further complications or infections.
Dr. Segal’s new Diabetic Sock Collection features the colours of autumn with warm, earthy tones that go with any outfit. These Diabetic Socks are perfect for everyday wear and have patterns that range from subtle to bold and let you show off your personality!
Learn more about Dr. Segal’s Diabetic Socks and who can benefit from wearing them here.